* Click on the photos to enlarge

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

I've made this Butternut Squash Soup before... and I feel that the idea always sounds better than the actual dish itself. It is a very thick and dense soup with an earthy flavor. While the recipe is quite easy, soups are always time consuming. The longer a soup sits and the flavors meld together, the better the flavor.

I changed the initial recipe that I have just a little bit. I roasted the butternut squash before adding it to the soup to add another level of depth. I also added some cayenne pepper and pushed it through sieve to give it a smooth texture. 

For the toppings, I took the seeds from the butternut squash, cleaned them and dried them overnight. Having the seeds dry overnight, also gave the soup time to marry and develop it's flavor. The next day, I cooked the seeds in a little olive oil and salt and pepper. I also chopped some sage and cooked it in a little butter until it was slightly crispy. When serving the soup, I topped it with Greek Yogurt, the cooked seeds and sage. 
The soup was tasty. :) Definitely gets better with age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment