* Click on the photos to enlarge

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bifteck Saute Au Beurre

(Pan-Broiled Steak)
&
Gratin Dauphinois
(Scalloped Potatoes With Milk, Cheese, & a Pinch of Garlic)


Josh's Review: "It's Good."

* Every night, I ask Josh, "How is everything?" and his standard answer is, "Good." Good, is not what I like to hear, which is why I have noticed that this is typically all he says about the food! So I have decided in each post I will have a section called "Josh's Review" and I will state what Josh had to say about the meal. I haven't told him about this, because I know if I do, he will start to exaggerate his responses.


Last night's dinner ~ Beef & Potatoes! Yummy - very simple and super flavorful.
"Pan-broiled steak is very French... None of the juice essences are lost, and it is easy to tell when the steak is done."
For the steak, I dried the meat completely with paper towels: "It will not brown if it is moist." I was surprised that in the instructions, the steak is not seasoned with salt and pepper until after it is taken off the heat. The steak browned beautifully, but I think I will definitely season the meat before cooking next time.
"Trim off excess fat. Cut small incisions around the circumference of the steak wherever there is a layer of gristle, usually between the fat and the meat. This will prevent the steak from curling as it cooks."
"The steak is done to a medium rare the moment you observe a little pearling of red juice beginning to ooze at the surface of the streak"
For the sauce, I made a red wine reduction. I boiled down the wine and added butter off the heat.

Bifteck Saute Au Beurre (Pan-Broiled Steak)
I've made scalloped potatoes before, and I am a huge fan! The preparation was a little different, but nothing difficult. I rubbed half a garlic clove on the bottom of my baking dish, followed by butter. I then stacked half of the potato slices, then s&p, cheese and butter. Added the other half of the potatoes, s&p, cheese and butter and topped it off with boiling milk. It cooked in a 425 degree oven for about 25 minutes.
* A peak at the potatoes cooking in the oven *

Gratin Dauphinois
(Scalloped Potatoes With Milk, Cheese, & a Pinch of Garlic)




We both wanted more potatoes! This is the master recipe. The cookbook includes other scalloped potatoes that I will most definitely try!

* The Complete Meal *

2 comments:

  1. Another mouth watering meal! And Josh's review????

    My scalloped potatoes never cook that fast. What is the secret?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised by the timing of the potatoes too! While I only used 4 potatoes and her recipe called for 2 lbs, the recipe still stated 20-30 minutes cooking time in the oven!!

    She has you pour boiling milk over the potatoes and then set the baking dish over heat (i just put it on the bottom rack of the oven) until it is simmering & then I moved the potatoes to the upper third of the oven for 20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete