* Click on the photos to enlarge

Thursday, October 20, 2011

She Had A Baby. I Cooked.

We just got back from visiting our friends Ash & Adam in Colorado. Bonus: We were lucky enough to visit with their beautiful son, Harrison; born September 22nd. Their little bundle of joy was a little late on his estimated arrival date, so Ash & Adam didn't get a lot of time just the three of them, because visitors were charging through their doors to get cuddle-time with their sweet gingersnap. Since we were among that group, and we were invading their space and snuggling their sweet baby boy all day... I felt the least I could do was cook for them. I still don't feel like I cooked enough...maybe because I was too busy hanging out with Harrison.

14 October 2011: Dinner by Adam & Margaret
Ashley had seen a hamburger with a fried egg on a english muffin on a show and had her heart set on trying it. So that is what we made her. What the birthday girl wants, the birthday girl gets. With the burgers, I decided to make my garlic fries.

We all know that grilling is a man's job (according to Josh), so Adam - with Josh's company - grilled the beef patties and english muffins, while I fixed the fries inside and Ashley tended to the baby.

Party Of Four
When dinner was all set, Harrison decided that it was not Ashley's time to eat. So, while the three of us ate the delicious, juicy burgers and garlic-y fries, Ash's plate sat there getting cold. It reminded of a line from the movie A Christmas Story "My Mother had not had a hot meal for herself in 15 years." I knew Ash was looking forward to digging into the burger she had talked so excitedly about... damn kids - I guess that's what motherhood is all about.



15 October 2011: "Late" Night Dinner After The Bar
After spending some time at the bar, celebrating Mandy's new job, we came back to the house for more drinks and a little something to eat. Josh first suggested me making chicken breasts, asparagus and mashed potatoes... but I re-thought that idea and, instead came up with Chicken, Roasted Red Pepper & Goat Cheese Quesadillas.

Holy Delicious! Crunchy, Savory, Sweet, Creamy!

Great "Late" night choice. :)

After we ate, we all got a good night's sleep. Well... I'm not sure about Ash & Adam - you know, because they have a baby now - But I'm pretty sure Josh did.
16 October 2011: HaPpY BiRtHdAy! Breakfast
The next morning I cut up fresh fruit - Watermelon, Pineapple & Strawberries - cooked the bacon, decided on what to make for breakfast and got the fixings ready for Birthday Mimosas! Now, all I had to do was wait for everyone to wake up...

Ashley got a hefty stack of pancakes, bacon and fresh fruit. {which I didn't get a picture of} But I'm pretty sure she enjoyed her birthday breakfast from all the "this is so good" noises coming from her.

For the rest of us, I made Omelets with Asparagus, Tomatoes and Goat Cheese. They were so good. Asparagus has never been my number one choice of vegetables, but when you put eggs and asparagus together... Perfect combination.

17 October 2011: Goodbye Breakfast
For Ashley's birthday, Adam made a taco bar that left us all very full! The next morning, however, Josh and I woke up "starving".

I fiddled around in the kitchen for a little bit, trying to decide what to cook. Since the omelets seemed to go over well yesterday, I decided to make something similar: A Frittata with Asparagus, Tomato & Goat Cheese"When will it be ready" So, I threw together eggs, milk, s&p, a chopped tomato, cooked & chopped asparagus and a shredded potato. After cooking it on the stove for a bit, I tossed it in the oven "How much longer?" and when it was almost done, topped it with crumbled goat cheese.  "Is it ready yet" I sliced the frittata into four triangles and breakfast was served! When I first brought Ash her plate, she said, "Wow, this is a lot" No worries if you don't finish it. Fast forward a little bit.... Ash, "Is there more?" Unfortunately, there wasn't. Sorry Ash.

I loved the flavors of the frittata. The soft texture with the crunch of the asparagus complimented each other very well. And the goat cheese... Oh! the goat cheese... creamy perfection.

Thanks for letting us visit {and cook for you} Ash & Adam. We had a great time! Give kisses to Harrison from us!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! We had so much fun with you guys :)

    Adam thinks that you should write a "variations" cookbook - where you come up with a bunch of different recipes using the same ingredients...Also, we're going to re-make your frittata tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it! :)

    & that's a good idea, Adam!

    ReplyDelete