* Click on the photos to enlarge

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Comfort Food

While I was making a grocery list Sunday, I asked Josh if he had any requests and the three things that he stressed where spinach, broccoli & bananas. When we first started dating, he would have never asked me for these! It's nice to see I'm a healthy influence.

Last night I wanted to make one of his favorite dishes: Chicken Tortellini. This is a dish that originally came from my Aunt Peg, then tweaked by my Mom. I love this recipe, it is always delicious! It is the definition of comfort food to me: Cheese, Butter, Cheese-Filled Pasta, Butter...comfort, right? My Aunt Peg has been on my mind lately. She and I had such a nice talk when she was in town about a week ago. And so, last night, I made a new version of her dish. So thank you all for the inspiration. :)

Right out of the oven
Usually, this dish is all about butter and cheese; and I wasn't about to change that! It is definitely a splurge. I decided to make it a little bit more healthy by adding broccoli. So here is my version of Chicken & Broccoli Tortellini. It's not much different from my Mom's version. In a buttered dish, I layered the cooked cheese tortellini, then broccoli, mozzarella cheese, chicken, and then two bunches of chopped green onions sautéed and simmered with chicken broth and more cheese. So simple.

Dinner is served




As I poured the chicken broth mixture over the dish, Josh was standing over me, saying, "mmmm, Looks Gooooood." He seemed pretty pleased with what I was doing. So with his nod of approval, I popped it in the oven. When it came out of the oven, it smelled and looked absolutely delicious! A perfect meal for a fall evening.






While we ate dinner, I had the oven preheating for the cookies. Josh didn't know he was getting 'fresh out of the oven' cookies, so he was pretty excited.











What an easy and 
delicious way to do dessert! 

No comments:

Post a Comment