* Click on the photos to enlarge

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Oeufs Broulles

(Scrambled Eggs)

Yesterday morning, scrambled eggs was on the menu. Scrambled eggs, pretty simple right? Beat the eggs, throw in a pan, move it all around, done! Julia's technique was a little different with a big difference in the final product.
"Scrambled eggs in French are creamy soft curds that just hold their shape from fork to mouth. Their preparation is entirely a matter of stirring the eggs over gentle heat until they slowly thicken as a mass into a custard."
Custard is the perfect description! The eggs were a fluffy cream. The eggs are mixed with a small amount of milk and s&p and cooked over "moderately" low heat (I cooked them half-way between the low and medium setting.) I cooked the eggs very slowly and stirred constantly with a rubber spatula. For the first three minutes it seemed as though nothing was happening - which is what Julia said would happen. When the eggs thickened, I removed the eggs from the heat and added heavy cream! The cream stopped the cooking and took the eggs to a new level. The first bite I took, I thought, "My Dad would love this". My Dad likes his eggs on the runny side. While these eggs were not runny, they had the consistency of a custard. The eggs were not dry by any means.

Oeufs Broulles (Scramled Eggs)

Oeufs Broulles (Scramled Eggs)






Think, Savory Custard. 

1 comment:

  1. Eggs and heavy cream! My heart hurts...
    Thanks, Margaret for updating. I've been going through withdrawal.

    ReplyDelete