* Click on the photos to enlarge

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Are you going to make/eat that?

While talking to my sister, Libby, she asked me if I would be cooking every recipe in the cookbook. A friend told her that there are some pretty gross recipes in the cookbook. After we talked, I came home and thumbed through more recipes. Turns out, there are some recipes that I would never choose to make.

For example, Jellied Stocks - Aspics - Gelee. Aspics are meat jelly. Sounds delicious, right? Luckily, this section is very small. (maybe two pages) The Aspic recipes are included in the Stocks and Aspics chapter. There is a Master recipe for the homemade jellied stock, made with calf's feet and pork rind and there is a variation for adding wine. Unless a different Master recipe calls for the jellied stock, I most likely will not make one. The remaining recipes of the chapter are useful stock recipes. While this chapter has a not-so-appealing recipe of aspics, it is very informative when it comes to stocks. Even if you do not have the time to make homemade stock, it gives instructions on how to improve canned stocks! Lovely.

Another chapter that caught my eye was Brains. I have never had brains, so of course, I will try anything once. There are only a couple recipes for brains. (As I have said before, there are Master recipes and then variations with small omissions or additions.) It won't hurt to try something new; or will it? If we don't like one of the recipes, I will not be making a variation of it.

Other chapters that are jumping off the page include, Liver, Kidneys and Veal.  I know when I cook a Veal dish, I will get the evil eye from my sister, Christine. In advance, I know and I'm sorry.

Oh no. As I continued to look through the cookbook, aspics makes another appearance. A chapter all to itself. Poached Eggs in Aspic is the first recipe I see. Gross. Imagine poached eggs and tarragon leaves encased in jellied stock. The main purpose of the aspics is simply presentation as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I will try just one... but not the poached egg mold!

Yes, there are recipes that do not look appealing. However, how will I know if I like or don't like them if I don't try? Answer: I can't, so I will.

3 comments:

  1. come on- your could put party favors suspended in aspic. Think of the possibilities!!!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Amy! haha I will have to keep an open mind

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the part in the movie when Julie made the aspic. We want you to try the unusual recipes, so we can learn from it. I probably couldn't eat brains unless I didn't know that it was in the dish.

    ReplyDelete